Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Wine With Everything

This is an updated repost from my original blog on Tumblr

Lipstick and I are still in the beginnings of our relationship. For so long, I avoided it in favour of glosses and tinted balms, thinking that lipsticks were heavy and “too much” (aesthetically speaking) for my preferred makeup style. Lipstick was this thing my mom wore to weddings and other special evening occasions. Super Lustrous proved me wrong and I couldn’t be happier about it.

Actually, I was planning on writing a review on my first-ever lipstick Mauvy Night, the lovely and highly-wearable shade in the Super Lustrous plum family. Then while swatching the SL Reds, I fell for creme-finish Wine With Everything and scooped it up on sale ($4!!)


You’ll have to suspend your love of shiny, luxe packaging for this one; it’s easy to pass by the Super Lustrous display at the drugstore. With its plain black case, it doesn’t do much to compete for your attention in comparison to other products with more eye-catching packaging. With the gold band in the middle, it looks a little old-fashioned too—and not in an adorably retro way. But what it lacks in eye appeal, it makes up for in almost every other way.

The Super Lustrous lipsticks I have tried are smooth to apply, pretty comfortable and easy to wear. It doesn’t feel like I’m wearing lipstick at all, which I think says a lot considering how new I was to lipstick.

Some people expect marathon-wear out of their lipsticks, lasting through meals and drinks and make-out sessions. Super Lustrous isn’t one of those: it does lasts a couple hours, but it comes off a little on my mug when I have a sip of tea and fades slightly after a meal. And I’m totally okay with that. I don’t expect my lip colour to not need reapplication after lunch. Maybe it’s because in my limited experience super-ultra-resilient lip colour is a bit drying and difficult to take off at the end of the day. In any case, it doesn’t really bother me.

Although some people like to prep their lips for lipstick with a swipe of balm, I tested wearing them alone to see if they were as “mega-moisturizing” as Revlon says. My lips are often dry, but I was able to wear it safely without any gross, dry-lip meltdowns.

Two swipes / three swipes
I admit, this shade was a bit out of my comfort zone: I’m used to wearing more natural-looking pinks and corals. But after I got used to it, I really loved this red. Pigmentation will vary from shade to shade, but Wine With Everything has beautiful, full colour from the first swipe.


I wore Wine With Everything for the first time for a friend’s birthday last week, applying it straight from the tube. I wasn’t expecting it to apply as vibrantly as it did (despite the fact that I had already swatched it), but it was definitely a pleasant surprise. I was still kinda taken aback by how bright the colour turned out to be, so I blotted for a subtler look in this photo.

Super Lustrous lipsticks are basically the opposite of everything I thought lipsticks were: easy to wear, comfortable, and daytime and/or everyday-friendly. I really believe this line is both a great starting point for makeup beginners and a great find for seasoned makeup lovers.
Drugstores: $8-9 CAD


More Revlon Super Lustrous love:
Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks (Plums)
Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks (Reds)
Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks (Neutrals part 1)

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! I do my best to reply to all of them within 1-2 days, especially if there is a question. Please be aware that comments containing links may be edited to remove the links or not approved at all.

© Do Want Makeup 2016 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis